You know what you want in life but it seems so hard to get there. Well, maybe it always felt overwhelming because you did not have the right plan on HOW to make it happen! Of course, the best plan in the world won’t do the work for you… it’s still going to be challenging some days BUT with the right strategy, you can work through it.
Ready to build a strategy that works for you? Then let’s start!
First, I want you to do a small exercise. I would say close your eyes, but that’s kind of hard while reading a blog…so just take a couple of deep breathes to really relax and imagine yourself 1 year from now. You sit in the exact same place but one whole year has passed and you have already reached your goal. Imagine how proud you are for having accomplished whatever it is that you have in your mind. Imagine how your life has changed and also how this change positively influenced the people around you. You can take a break from reading if you want and enjoy this feeling. 🙂
Now, try to see yourself in more detail. How exactly do you look like, who are the people that surround you, what car do you drive, where do you live, etc? After you have that image clear, slowly go back in time and see what you had to do in order to get there… all the steps that you had to take…
I invite you to write down all the steps that come into your mind. Once you are ready, let’s put them in a structure.
- What would be the first thing you would need to do?
- What could you do TODAY to work towards your goal? (e.g. making some research on how to take further steps)
- How much time a week or a day can you make free for it?
- Make a plan!! ( I loooove planners and create my schedule there with highlighters in all different colors…)
As examples make everything better, here is one:
Let’s say your goal is to work as a fitness coach online. You already imagined yourself one year from now, feel pride, feel how the people around you are happy because you are happy, and enjoy your work! You know what it takes to get there. First, you would need to take a course to become a fitness coach. Second, you would need to get a website in order to offer your service online.
- The first thing to do is to take a course.
- What you could do today is to search for online fitness courses that start immediately or soon.
- Let’s say you only have 30 min per day, schedule the fitness course, and make it a fixed part of the day that is not negotiable! Even if your friend invited you over for dinner, try to stick to this 30 min slot and go afterward!
- Make a (realistic) plan for the next weeks and month(s)
It is important to start with small steps! Take one course at a time and not 3 different ones, or cut off all your social life to ONLY do the course. If you do that, chances are high that you won’t stick to it for long.
Another tip that I learned from my great mentor, Marie Forleo, is to replace the phrase “I don’t have time for that” with “It’s just not that important to me to make time for it” whenever you don’t feel like doing something. I know, this might sound a bit drastic, but it really works. After hearing and actually using this tip, I never missed my daily “woking-towards-my-goal”- slot again.
(Important, sometimes it IS true and it’s just not that important to you and that’s OK too! Not everything in life is fixed. Maybe, whilst working towards it, you discover that you don’t actually want to achieve a certain goal any more and you change it! :))
As always, I hope you found this blog helpful. If you have any questions, you can always write me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you next week!